All the five finalists in the short story category have now been reviewed, and here they are. Frankly, the reading project has been quite disappointing so far.
- “Totaled” by Kary English 5/10
- “A Single Samurai” by Steven Diamond 3/10
- “On A Spiritual Plain” by Lou Antonelli 2.5/10
- “Turncoat” by Steve Rzasa 2/10
- “The Parliament of Beasts and Birds” by John C. Wright 0/10
“Totaled” is the best short story on the ballot hands down, and I wouldn’t be too sad to see it win. However, I won’t be voting for it as my first choice. The top spot will go to No Award, because there were so much better stories out there that the slates kept off the ballot. Honestly, I can’t vote for any of these.
To mock-quote somebody: This is how I am voting in the best short story category. Of course, I merely offer this information regarding my individual ballot for no particular reason at all.
What does your ballot look like?